PMS, NA Round Table Conferences

Go Back   PMS, NA Round Table Conferences > PURPLE MARTIN CONFERENCES > (Main) Round Table Conference

(Main) Round Table Conference Click here to "talk" with landlords across North America.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:35 AM
Site Admin

Default Northern Illinois Arrivals

My PMs have not returned yet this year and I'm getting a bit worried. I see that birds have returned to the Lakewood Forest Preserve just north of me (I'm located in Hawthorn Woods). I'm curious if others are also experiencing late arrivals. Given the early warm weather, I expected early arrivals.

Bob Bodett
Old 04-15-2012, 09:08 AM
Site Admin

For whatever reason, I don't know, but scouts have arrived here these past seven years no earlier than April 16 and as late as May 14. It always gets frustrating to read that PMs have been spotted all across the region before any are seen here, but I remain hopeful.

Everything is set to go here, and my usual Tree Swallows already occupy their special gourd located 35 ft from the martin racks. All our entrances are sreh now and starlings have given up, but the House Sparrows keep me busy removing them from the trap on the castle. I suppose I'll open some entrances today in case some PM scouts show up. Strong southerly breezes are forecast, which might be a good omen. We'll see.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:52 AM
Site Admin

Well, Bob, things are looking much better here in Roscoe, which is located a few miles directly north of Rockford. My neighbor Jim, who also is trying to establish a martin colony, told me he saw two ASY PMs on the evening of April 15 -- one day earlier than our previous first scout sighting. He came over the next day to give me the details and, while he was pointing toward my gourd rack, two martins appeared -- almost like they were actors entering a stage on cue.
The next day, two more showed up and yesterday another did, to make a total of five new arrivals. At least one of them is a female, so maybe we can hope for more babies this year.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:44 PM
Site Admin

Default Northern Illinois Arrivals

Bob just wondering if your birds have finally returned. Mary from Lakewood did have a few early arrivals. The cold temps of late are probably the reason for the delay.

On another note for you and Bill Hyde. We are planning a meeting of the Purple Martin Society of Illinois on June 3rd at Cantigny Park in Wheaton. Will be posting details on the PMS and PMCA shortly. It would be great to meet and talk with other local landlords.

Larry Budrow
Hawthorn Woods
Lbudrow@comcast.net
Old 04-20-2012, 05:29 PM
Site Admin

Larry,

Still no birds. I saw a few at Lakewood the other day, but not an overwhelming number. We've had birds for several years now, and they have never arrived later than April 19 (that was in 2003). Very strange. I wonder if they were affected by a storm somewhere along their route back north.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:18 PM
Site Admin

Default Finally

We had a pair arrive late on Monday 4/23. They were checking out the house, but its not clear if they stayed the night, although I don't think they did. Haven't seen them return, so I suspect they are from another location and were just passing by. We have been playing the Dawnsong CD which I think does a great job in attracting them to our site.

We now have a ASY male who appears to have set up shop and is looking for female. Things appear to be happening after a longer-than-normal wait.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:41 AM
Site Admin

Bob

Glad to hear your site is picking up. The are predicting an increase in arrivals up north next week.

Larry